English Scones Recipe
· 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (256gm)
· 1/4 cup (60 gm) white sugar
· 2 ½ tsp (12ml) baking powder
· 1/2 tsp (3ml) baking soda
· 1/2 tsp salt (3ml)
· 1/4 cup (65 gm) margarine or butter
· 3/4 cup (200 gm) sultana raisins
· 1 cup (250 ml) milk
Preheat oven to 425°F or 220°C.
Grease baking tray with margarine.
Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
Cut in the margarine or butter using a pastry knife until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Add the milk and mix to make a smooth dough (add more milk if necessary to ensure mix is not too dry).
Knead very lightly for ten seconds on a lightly floured surface.
Roll or pat to about 3/4" thick (2 cm) and either cut into individual scones or cut into wedges, leaving intact to make a loaf.
Baking time approximately 12 minutes for individual scones, 15-20 minutes for loaf-style.
Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle a little cinnamon on top if desired.